Friday, June 24, 2011

Week 33: Why do we do this?

While swimming at Red Top Mtn last Sunday, a teammate turned to me and asked "why do we do this?".  It seems to be almost an inside joke of sorts between triathletes.  On those long, hard training days, we often ask that question among our friends and to ourselves.

I find the best answers come on those long training days.  Like last Saturday when I did my second century.  I think anytime you attempt to do a super long distance (even if you have done it before), it is a bit of a leap of faith.  You don't know what the day will bring, whether mental or physical, and you just have to tell yourself you're going to do it.

My favorite part is the unexpected.  My friends often think I am hallucinating but I find that the most fantastical (yes, I know that is NOT a word) experiences happen out on long rides.  It often mirrors life.  At the beginning of the ride I had to deal with my discomfort of pushing off and clipping in while going uphill with hundreds (over 900) people around me.  "Do not fall, do not fall"...do not embarrass yourself Patti!

Not too long after the start I looked down and saw a dead baby bunny and it broke my heart.  Sometimes a long ride shows you life can be cruel.  Not long afterwards, a bull who had jumped his fence was charging down the road at us.  And the other cattle still in the fence were freaking out.  And quite frankly so was he because he wanted to be safe back inside the fence and not on the road.  The cyclists around me slowed down and let him figure out a solution and he jumped back inside the fence.  Lesson: If something threatens me, back off and it usually will pass.

I also dealt with the fear of riding in aero downhill.  And I found that if I sing to myself, very loudly, the fear passes and I enjoy it.  Yes, I was a little embarrassed when I realized there were 3 people riding my tail.  I hope they like Pink.

You also meet friends along the way on a long ride and get to discuss the most interesting subjects in life with them.  And you find that when you are melting down and freaking out that if you help someone else out in your same shoes, that you forget your problems while helping them and you both get to finish.

A century ride is a great way to discover more about yourself, more about life, more about what makes you tick.  And that's why I am doing another one tomorrow. :)  I'm still not sure why I'm following it up on Sunday with a 3.25 mile swim....but that's next week's post, right?

1 comment:

  1. Well put, Patti. You are spot on about the 'leap of faith'. Doing a long workout makes us strong physically, but STARTING one makes us stronger in a much better way. Knowing that there is a good chance it could be a miserable day, but willing to take that chance just in case it is a 'fantastical' day.

    ReplyDelete