Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Week 14: The second year

Building on Last Year:

2010 was my first year of triathlons.  It was my first year of competing in running and cycling ever in my life.  And the first time in many, many years of swimming competition.  It was a year of mistakes and a year of growth.  One of the nice things about being new to a sport is you have no idea what you are doing and you will try anything.  So my enthusiasm and curiosity were at an all time high.

That could also be said to be a detriment in that my time was scattered and not clearly focused.  And I pushed too hard in some areas resulting in injury and not hard enough in other areas leading to poor results. 

I am certain I will make more mistakes this year.  There is no way to avoid them.  My goal is not to make the same mistake twice.

Last year, it seemed like I had something to prove.  This year I want to grow.  To absorb it all like a sponge.  Watch, listen, and observe.  Whittle away what doesn’t need to be there.  Become strong and efficient.

I already like this second year.  I like it more than I ever dreamed I would.

2 comments:

  1. When I started, I had the same goal "to not make the same mistake twice". As usual, I surpassed that goal tremendously (overachiever)...making some mistakes as many as 5 times or more ;-)

    Of course, I'm on year 31. I don't think I can remember year 2. But I DO remember all the great times I had along the way and how much more it improved my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really looks like you are having fun with it, and really that is what its all about...and going fast!

    ReplyDelete