Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Week 13: Learning to swim

When I was a child, I was on a competitive swim team for 4 seasons and swam breaststroke.  It was natural and easy and I never remember coaches telling me how to correct my stroke.  I do remember hating to get up early and swimming so many laps that by the end of the practice, I would actually cheat and walk on the bottom of the pool.

When I began swimming for tris, I was rudely awakened.  Freestyle was very difficult for me and I could not understand what I was doing wrong.  I knew my stroke was not efficient and I was not "pulling" the water.  But how do I fix it?  I read books, did the drills, took a private lesson but nothing helped.  I had considered giving up swimming at one point because I disliked it so much and it caused me so much anxiety and pain.

Finally a friend of mine suggested I go to a coach who would videotape me.  But it was nothing what I expected.  She would have me swim a lap, get out, watch it, discuss how to improve, and do it again.  We did this so many times I was getting dizzy jumping in and out of the pool.  BUT IT WORKED!  One lesson had me see what I was missing.  Just one lesson.  Of course, I will continue to go to her because there is so much to learn.

Now I'm excited about swimming.  I can't wait to go and see how much I can improve, and it's become a fun game to me.  I learned over a year that I can't give up.  I can't stop trying.  That even if I fail over and over again, that victory truly can just be around the next corner.  So get out there, ask questions, leave no stone unturned until you find what brings you joy in life.  It's waiting for you too.  :)

1 comment:

  1. That's a great story, Patti - and a perspective that hits close to home. I don't dislike swimming because I am slow...I dislike it because like you were at one time, I am a frustrated swimmer. I don't have a lot of resources here but then again, you've made me think that maybe I just haven't looked hard enough to find the one that will help me.

    Keep up the good work. We're not to far away from the triathlete's biggest holiday - Daylight Savings.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete