Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Week 12: Anonymous exercise

I train with a team.  A pretty big team.  And like it or not, my ego often tends to get in the way of my training.  Sometimes looking good and trying to fit in doesn't produce the best training results for me.  On the bike, it produces anger and upset.  Why do I keep getting dropped?  In the pool, it produces a lot of wasted energy and my stroke goes to pot.  On the run, it caused me to run faster and injure myself. (But that was last year, right???)

So I had a few new experiences this week.  On my group ride, I finally decided that I wanted to enjoy my long rides. I'm not going to stop pushing.  And one day I will keep up with everyone.  But in the meantime, I'm going to like being last.  The pool?  I hired a swim coach to help me improve my stroke. 

And I've decided to do some training on my own.  I took a spin class at LA Fitness and it was refreshing that I could be anyone I wanted to be in the class and no one cared.  Oh wait, my team probably doesn't care either....but I assure you it's easier when people don't know you.

I'll also be doing some long rides on my own.  So I can relax and just enjoy being on the bike.  It's also good practice for racing when I won't have the support of my teammates next to me.

I joined the team so I'd have people around but I think it's time to do both.  Train with them.  And train on my own. 9 months to go.  Bring it. :)

3 comments:

  1. Training on your own (I think anyway) is essential. Training with a group has its advantages especially on the long rides and runs, but I totally agree that you can get sucked into unhealthy training habits trying to mold yourself to the group. I am joining the club when I "officially" start my IMFL training, but I live in east cobb so making all the training events is simply not possible. All that said, I personally don't have the will power to adhere to my training regiment when training on my own so I found a training partner. We live close and are at the same training level give or take...same level on the swim...he is much stronger on the bike....and i am stronger on the run. This is great because you have the accountability of a training partner without the "unspoken pressure" of a large group.

    Some people can train within their own regiment in group workouts but lets face it...we are triathletes....when has ego and vanity not been an issue :)

    I love the LAF workouts! We usually work in a 2K swim and coordinate it so we can hop out of the water and get on a spin bike at the start of a class (the only thing to make sure is that you have a good instructor!). It certainly isn't like going out and tearing it up on the bike for 3 hours, but it is a high calorie burn workout!

    Best of luck and hope the IT Band feels better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand how you feel. The club has some fast people and it can be easy to become frustrated with our own performance. No matter how much we train and improve, we will always compare our performance to others. In some cases it helps because it drives us to improve and work harder. Other times it makes us feel like we'll never achieve the next level or train too hard resulting in injury. What's important is to track your own performance against yourself. Over time you'll see the improvement. Listen to what your body is saying to you. If you need to back off then back off.

    I feel the same way about training on my own sometimes. Especially on the swim. Sometimes the pressure of the group and trying to keep up with the pace in my lane frustrates me. I also think my form has gone to crap because of all the speed work. I'm glad we had the snow and missed some of the swim workouts. I've instead been going to the pool on my own and working on my form, trying to get my technique right before resuming speed work. Even when I do resume normal Monday nights swims, I'll still swim on my own continuing to work on form. When I did this last summer, I made quite a bit of improvement and felt more comfortable in the water.

    Do what's right for you. The team will be there to help support you when you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Zach and Dave. I realize all of this is in my head and has nothing to do with the team. It will all work out and I will train with the team again for running.

    ReplyDelete