Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Week 11: Training in the cold

The friend who introduced me to triathlons once told me he hated the cold weather and preferred the heat.  I thought he was nuts.  All summer long, and 2010 was the hottest summer I can remember, I kept wanting it to be cooler.  Much cooler. 

Now that it's cold, I finally get it.  The heat is better.  Your muscles are warm.  You aren't achey. The clothing options are much easier.  You get to sweat.  REALLY REALLY sweat.  Sweat pouring down your arms and legs and cleaning all the toxins from your body.  You get to breathe warm humid air.

And when you finish, you can plop down on the sidewalk and stretch while you wait for your teammates.  The sun is still out.  You can hang out and relax and then go to dinner.

And you can bike.  You can ride your bike.  You don't have to check the weather every day and figure out whether or not you can ride outside this weekend.  You don't have to dread two hours on a trainer.  You just load up the water and go.  And the wind can cool you off...instead of freeze you.

Come on spring.  Please come soon.  I want to sweat again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment