Thursday, January 13, 2011

Week 10: Slow and steady wins the race

OK, slow and steady might not REALLY win the race.  But it will allow me to train for 70.3 and 140.6 distances this year.  I've started running again.  And I'm back on the bike...albeit on a trainer but it's cold outside.

It's hard when your ego says "GO FAST, GET ON THE PODIUM" and your head says "I'M SICK OF LIVING IN THIS MUCH PAIN".  My friend, Todd, suggested I read Going Long.  A great deal of the book is too technical for me.  Perhaps as I learn more and progress, it will make sense to me.

What I have learned from the book is that for me to go long, I must go slow.  I MUST develop the base that I need to do these insane distances.  And cycling and running fast is NOT the way to get there.  Sure, if I had a few years under my belt, it would be a different story.  I'm brand new at this.  One year of running is simply not enough to make the increases in speed and distance that I did last year.  And it's why I got injured.

So I'm throwing my ego out the door and starting this dance all over again.  I've been running 10 minute miles.  I've been soft pedalling.  I'm taking it easy.  Until I build up the base that I need.  Maybe 2012 I'll get faster, this year is for Going Long.

No comments:

Post a Comment