Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Week 19: 60 days until my first 70.3

So a big number hit me today.  My first half ironman distance race is 60 days away.  Until now, I've felt no pressure, no nerves, nothing.  And today is different.  I'm starting to feel it in the pit of my stomach.

Strangely enough I'm ready for what I thought I wouldn't be, and I'm not ready for what my strength was.  I'm sure I can comfortably swim 1.2 miles now.  I've done it several times without a break and it feels really good.  I'm also good with 56 miles on the bike.  I'm not going to say GREAT, just good.  I can do it.  I can do it if it's 40 degrees out and windy to the point of me screaming and cussing on the bike.  I can do it if it's hilly with cars flying by me or if it's super hot with broken up pavement.  Speaking of that, I haven't changed a flat yet so maybe I should practice that, right?

I'm only up to 5 miles now running and using the 10% rule, I'll be to about 11 miles by May 15.  Since I have run the 13.1 distance many times, I'm ok with coming up a little short in training.

What I'm NOT ready for is putting these 3 together.  Not yet ready I should say because I damn well will be on May 15.  I don't know HOW I'm going to get there...but I will be ready.  And there may be a little bit of "suck it up buttercup" in 60 days.  But I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment