Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Week 28: Run not looking good

I spent the last 2 weekends doing the swim and bike portions of a HIM distance.  The courses were complete opposites.  One being an ocean swim and super flat bike.  The other being a river swim and super hilly bike.  I was faster on the former, and struggled with the latter.  But enjoyed both immensely.  I find I am my own worst critic and think my performance awful the first 24 hours after a race.  Then I calm down a little and come to peace with it and figure out what I learned from it.  I learned that I expect life to be easy and when it's not easy, I want to quit. 

I went to physical therapy yesterday with the hopes that I would get the green flag to run again.  But knowing I would be told no.  And the answer was no.  But we talked a long time and figured out some more of the issues with my ankle and are addressing them.  I will give it another month and then closely examine whether or not it is smart to even think about ramping up to an Ironman.  I have until September 11 to get back $150 of my money and withdraw from the race.  In the meantime, I will continue the swim and bike and replace running with rollerblading.  I do not want to damage the work I have done healing by hurting myself ramping up for a distance I have never done and there is a part of me that wants to quit right now.  So I struggle with knowing whether I am wanting to quit because that's what I do when life gets tough, or wanting to quit because I am protecting my health.  Luckily I do not have to make that decision today.  I have some time.  I have 4 months to decide.  A lot can happen in 4 months.

Training for triathlons and participating in them can teach you many lessons in life if you're willing to listen for them.  I have learned more in the past year about life than I thought possible.  I'm grateful for the experience and for all the people who have contributed to me along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment